Supreme Court Accepts Metzger’s Appeal, Sentence Reduced To 3.5 Years

The Supreme Court accepted on Sunday afternoon the appeal filed by former Chief Rabbi Yona Metzger for failing to accept the plea bargain reached after his conviction for bribery and fraud amounting to millions of shekels. Therefore, he will serve 3.5 years in prison, as originally stipulated in the plea bargain with the State Prosecutor’s Office.

Last February, the Jerusalem District Court sentenced Metzger to 4.5 years in prison. The judge stressed that had there been no agreement, Metzger would have been sentenced to six to nine years. Read more at YNet.

{Matzav}

Read the rest of this entry »

Will Germany’s president also choose Breaking the Silence over Netanyhau?


Outrage continues over foreign minister’s characterization of Holocaust.

Read the rest of this entry »

Iran’s Supreme Leader Blasts President over Detente Policy

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei blasted Iranian President Hassan Rouhani over his policy of engagement with the western world. Rouhani is up for re-election next month, and has faced stiff opposition from those in Khamenei’s camp over his support for the Iran nuclear agreement, among other policies.

“Some say since we took office the shadow of war has been faded away. This is not correct,” Khamenei said in a criticism of Rouhani for saying his initiatives have lowered the chances of a war. “It’s been people’s presence in the political scene that has removed the shadow of war from the country.” Read more.

{Matzav}

Read the rest of this entry »

Suspected US Airstrike Kills 4 Al-Qaida Operatives In Yemen

A suspected U.S. airstrike killed four al-Qaida operatives in Yemen’s eastern province of Marib on Sunday, Yemeni tribal and security officials said. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media, say the operatives killed were driving a car when an unmanned aircraft targeted their vehicle. Two of the men killed were identified as belonging to one of the local tribes, the others remain unidentified. The airstrike comes less than a day after a similar strike killed three al-Qaida members in the neighboring province of Shabwa. Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, seen by Washington as among the most dangerous branches of the global terror network, has exploited the chaos of Yemen’s civil war, seizing territory in the south and east. In a separate development, Saudi Arabia’s King Salman met with the president of Yemen’s internationally recognized government, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, on Saturday. The meeting comes after Hadi fired a Cabinet minister and the governor of the southern port city of Aden. The two figures were known to be close to the United Arab Emirates, a key member of a Saudi-led coalition fighting Shiite rebels in Yemen since 2015. Government officials said the meeting was unplanned but was set by the Saudi king to ease tensions between the UAE and Hadi over allegations by the Yemeni president that the Emiratis are inciting Yemeni officials to refuse carrying out presidential decisions. Hadi sees this as UAE violations of his country’s sovereignty. (AP)

The post Suspected US Airstrike Kills 4 Al-Qaida Operatives In Yemen appeared first on Yeshiva World News.

Read the rest of this entry »

People Are Reporting Criminal (Space) Aliens To New ICE Hotline

People are prank calling President Trump’s new office to report illegal “criminal aliens” — just not the type of “aliens” President Trump had in mind when he created the office.

Ever since the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement (VOICE) office opened earlier this week, people have taken to Twitter to encourage calling and reporting extraterrestrials to the office’s hotline.

President Trump called for the establishment of VOICE in a speech to a joint session of Congress in February, “to serve American victims.” Trump said the effort was to provide “a voice to those who have been ignored by our media and silenced by special interests.”

The VOICE office was created as a part of U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE), which itself is part of the Department of Homeland Security. Read more at NPR.

{Matzav}

Read the rest of this entry »

Jews Attacked By Arab Mob On Erev Shabbos Detained

An Arab mob assaulted five Jewish youth, members of Chozrim L’Har (Returning to Har Habayis), who were walking around the Har Habayis wall in the Old City of Jerusalem on the night of Thursday, the eve of 2 Iyar. The Arabs, one of whom attempted to run over some of the youths with his car, surrounded the youths and assaulted them. The youths were escorted by policemen, who called for reinforcements at the start of the incident and were hesitant to intervene. When the reinforcements arrived on the scene, to the astonishment of the youths they, and not their assailants, were detained. After interrogation at the policemen station the detainees were offered release on condition of signing on an order distancing them from the Old City until a deliberation on the case on Sunday, 4 Iyar. Two of the detainees refused to sign on the order. Honenu Attorney Nati Rom, who is representing the youths: “This was a serious failure by the Israeli Police who not only were unable to protect the youths in the capital city of Israel, but also detained the victims of assault for many hours more than is allowed by law in order to cover up for their failing. I hope that the Israeli Police will present to the court the video clips of the incident, which support the claim made by the detainees and show a serious incident of assault and the faulty conduct of the police.” (YWN – Israel Desk, Jerusalem)

The post Jews Attacked By Arab Mob On Erev Shabbos Detained appeared first on Yeshiva World News.

Read the rest of this entry »

Jerusalem – Israeli Journalists Terminated For Using Fake News To Discredit Charedim

Jerusalem — Two employees of an Israeli television channel have been fired after posting a staged video to Facebook that supposedly showed Charedi residents of Bnei Brak attacking a news reporter carrying an Israeli flag. According to Israeli news site Kol Hazman(http://www.kolhazman.co.il/206658), reporter Guy Hochman took to the streets of the Satmar section of Bnei […]


Read the rest of this entry »

Israel To Build 10,000 Homes In New Jerusalem Neighborhood

Israel’s Housing Ministry has revived a plan to construct 10,000 homes in a new neighborhood in Jerusalem.

The plan for the new neighborhood was established by the Jerusalem municipality several years ago, but was frozen due to the Obama administration’s strong disapproval of Israeli construction beyond the 1967 lines.

The construction plan was brought back following President Donald Trump’s inauguration in January and is due to be made public in May, Israel’s Channel 10 reported this week.

The new neighborhood is slated to be built near the security fence close to the Qalandia checkpoint, at the abandoned Atarot Airport, which was deserted during the second intifada due to fears that Palestinian terrorists would shoot down airplanes.

Additional sites designated for construction under the plan include Jewish-owned areas west of the airport in Judea and Samaria.

The proposed neighborhood is intended to provide housing for haredi Israelis, yet leaders of that community have cited concerns regarding the neighborhood’s close proximity to areas with large Palestinian populations and its distance from the center of Jerusalem. (JNS.org) 

{Matzav}

Read the rest of this entry »

Trump Warns North Korea’s Missiles Will Get Better

President Donald Trump said after North Korea’s latest failed rocket launch that communist leader Kim Jong-Un will eventually develop better missiles, and “we can’t allow it to happen.” In a taped interview broadcast Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation,” the president would not discuss the possibility of military action, saying: “It is a chess game. I just don’t want people to know what my thinking is.” Separately, Trump’s national security adviser, Army Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, said North Korea’s most recent missile test represents “open defiance of the international community.” He said North Korea poses “a grave threat,” not just to the U.S. and its Asian allies, but also to China. Speaking on “Fox News Sunday,” McMaster said it is important “for all of us to confront this regime, this regime that is pursuing the weaponization of a missile with a nuclear weapon.” “This is something that we know we cannot tolerate,” McMaster said. On Saturday, a North Korean mid-range ballistic missile broke up a few minutes after launch, the third test-fire flop this month. The program’s repeated failures over the past few years have given rise to suspicions of U.S. sabotage. In the CBS interview, the president was asked why the North’s rockets keep blowing up. “I’d rather not discuss it,” he said. “But perhaps they’re just not very good missiles. But eventually, he’ll have good missiles.” He added: “And if that happens, we can’t allow it to happen.” Trump also called North Korea’s leader “a pretty smart cookie” for being able to hold onto power after taking over at a young age. “People are saying, ‘Is he sane?’ I have no idea,” the president said. North Korean ballistic missile tests are banned by the United Nations because they are seen as part of the North’s push for a nuclear-tipped weapon that can hit the U.S. mainland. McMaster said that Trump “has made clear that he is going to resolve this issue one way or the other,” but that the president’s preference is to work with China and others to resolve it without military action. That means, McMaster said, working to enforce current U.N. sanctions and perhaps ratcheting them up. “And it also means being prepared for military operations if necessary,” he said. Trump said he believes China’s president, Xi Jinping, has been putting pressure on North Korea over its missile and nuclear weapons programs. The launch comes at a point of particularly high tension in the region. Trump has sent a nuclear-powered submarine and an aircraft carrier to Korean waters. The U.S. and South Korea also started installing a missile defense system that is supposed to be partially operational within days. Residents in the village of Seongj, where the missile defense system is being installed, scuffled with police on Sunday. About 300 protesters faced off against 800 police and succeeded in blocking two U.S. Army oil trucks from entering the site, local media reported. A few residents were injured or fainted from the scuffle and were taken to a hospital. The Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense system, or THAAD, is controversial in South Korea, and presidential front-runner Moon Jae-in has vowed to reconsider the deployment if he wins the May 9 election. He has said that the security benefits of THAAD would be offset by worsened relations with China, […]

The post Trump Warns North Korea’s Missiles Will Get Better appeared first on Yeshiva World News.

Read the rest of this entry »

Jerusalem – Danon: Us Likely To Support Israel’s Seat On Un Security Council

Jerusalem — In a move that could significantly bolster Israel’s historic bid to join the United Nations Security Council, the US is likely to “actively support” Israel’s candidacy against Germany and Belgium, UN Ambassador Danny Danon said. Danon, back on a work-visit to Israel, told The Jerusalem Post on Sunday that while there is still […]


Read the rest of this entry »